Hi, I’m Ian. I like photography, code, and creating things.
On this site are many of the galleries, projects, and miscellany I’ve made over the years. I’ve tried to keep it simple, because I miss the old Web.
Have a look around! There’s a lot, but I’ve bolded the things I think are more interesting.
- Bermuda — Scenes from an island paradise. (2014)
- Shenandoah — Virginian mountains and trails. (2013–14)
- NYC — Pillars of glass and concrete. (2014)
- Richmond — Home sweet home. (2013–14)
- Knoxville — Wanderings during my college years. (2010–11)
- Southern Elsewhere — Various locations in the South. (2009–14)
- Interiors — A natural light obsession. (2010–14)
- Exteriors — Bricks and glass, concrete and steel. (2009–14)
- Outside — Nature… or sometimes closer to nature-ish. (2009–14)
- Air / Space — Wings and telescopes. I’m always glued to plane windows. (2009–14)
- Urban Exploration — Recklessness and ruin. (2009–12)
- The Dark — Stuff from when I take hiatuses and go wandering. (2009–14)
- Football — University of Tennessee football. (2010–11)
- Basketball — University of Tennessee men’s/women’s basketball. (2010–11)
- Other Sports — Other sports at UT. (2010–11)
- Abstract — Patterns and color worship. (2009–13)
- Food — My other hobby. I can bake some mean breads and pizzas. (2009–11)
- Miscellany — I’m terrible at hierarchies. (2009–14)
Tools and toys you can play with in your web browser. Some mobile and older browsers may not work.
- Tartan Generator — Randomly generates tartan patterns which can then be downloaded as wallpapers. (2016)
- Modular Modifier (HTML5) — A procedural/glitch editor that lets you apply effects to GIFs and pictures in various orders and download the results. (2016)
- Boxer — A box image/template creator. If you’ve seen 3x3/taste-rate thread on forums, this is for that kind of thing. (2015)
- Triangle Background Generator — Generates customizable triangular patterns, allowing the result to be downloaded as a wallpaper. (2015)
- ASCII-fy — Converts GIFs and images to ASCII art. Superseded by Modular Modifier. (2015)
- Party Time — Takes images and makes trippy palette-cycling GIFs. Mostly superseded by Modular Modifier. (2014)
- Visualizer — A spectrum visualizer for the current microphone input. Press 1-9 to change the visualization, and + to cycle variants of them. (2014)
Simple audiovisual amusements for your web browser. Some mobile and older browsers may not work.
- ASCII Things — Various effects done in ASCII. (2016)
- The Life of Whoever — Make your own Kanye album cover. (2016)
- Migraine — (Photosensitive warning? Harsh black/white lines, distorts your vision.) Recreation of a picture depicting what some migraines are like. (2015)
- A Steam Odyssey — Praise be unto Gaben. (2014)
- Instant Degauss — The best part about owning a CRT monitor, now with no wait to recharge. (2014)
- Trippy Webcam — (Photosensitive warning? Quickly cycles through bright colors.) Makes your webcam look trippy. (2014)
- everything is terrible — We all have those days. (2013)
- Blue Plate Simulator — A Tribes: Ascend addiction distilled into one button. Click away and rack up medals. (2012)
Downloadable audiovisual tools.
- Pixel Exploder — Draws an image’s pixels as 3D cubes and explodes them outward based on their brightness. (2014)
- Modular Modifier (old) — A Processing script that allows you to chain together glitch effects. I recommend the HTML5 version above, instead. (2014)
- GIF Glitcher — Glitches GIF files by modifying each frame with various effects. Mostly superseded by Modular Modifier. (2014)
- GIF Slit-Scanner — Applies a slit-scan effect to GIFs, which produces effects like broken VHS tapes or videos of propellers. Superseded by Modular Modifier. (2014)
- Intensifying Intensifier — Takes any image and makes a shaking GIF out of it, optionally with subtitles. Mostly superseded by Modular Modifier. (2014)
- JPG Glitcher — A script that takes a JPG and generates a number of glitched variations, optionally combining them into an animated GIF. (2014)
- MP3 to YouTube — A script that creates an MP4 file suitable for YouTube uploading from an MP3, automatically making the album art into a background. (2013)
Computer projects designed to analyze.
- Lightroom Geotag Timelapser — A Processing script to show geotags on a map over time. Exports frames so you can create a GIF timelapse of the places you've been. (2016)
- Hash Calculator — A simple SHA-1 hash calculator. (2015)
- Traffic Time Lapse Helper — Makes creating time lapses of traffic in Google Maps easy. (2013)
- Historical Tax Calculator — An in-browser comparison of USA federal income tax rates over time. Lacks context, but the change in base rates is interesting. (2013)
Games, and projects created for them and their communities.
Pictures and GIFs generated via tools I created.
- Every Color — Images containing all 262,144 18-bit colors exactly once. (2014)
- Generative ANSI — Modern images reduced into terminal characters. (2014)
- Glitch/Trippy GIFs — Weird and occasionally broken animations. (2014)
Virtual photography, screenshots and the like.
- Space Engine — Scenes from the virtual universe of Space Engine. (2012–15)
I can be reached via email (ih404 at outlook.com), GitHub (@ianharmon), or Twitter (@ianmharmon).
- Lightroom Geotag Timelapser — A Processing script to show geotags on a map over time. Exports frames so you can create a GIF timelapse of the places you've been.
- Updates to Modular Modifier — Added Bipolarize and Travel effects, and added an example of the two in tandem to the examples page.
- Updates to Modular Modifier — examples page, ability to copy/paste the effects sequence for sharing, animation offset option for Double, scanlines option for Pixel Scaler, fixed bug in Polarize.
- Tartan Generator — Randomly generates tartan patterns which can then be downloaded as wallpapers.
I redesigned this landing page. It’s not as pretty as older ones, but it’s probably more functional. The rest of my site is still how it used to be, so the menus there won’t be as comprehensive as this page, particularly with the Code section.
I should unify everything, but for now I’ll take a page out of 15 years ago.
Back to Top ⤴