Hi, I’m Ian. I like photography, code, and creating things.
On this site are many of the galleries, projects, and miscellany I’ve made over the years. I’ve tried to keep it simple, because I miss the old Web.
Have a look around! There’s a lot, but I’ve bolded the things I think are more interesting.
- Guatemala — Vibrant colors, colonial architecture, and volcanoes. (2017)
- Belize — Mayan ruins and sunny islands. (2017)
- Washington DC — Gardens and galleries. (2016)
- Outer Banks, NC — So much sand. (2016)
- Bermuda — Scenes from an island paradise. (2014)
- Shenandoah — Virginian mountains and trails. (2013–16)
- NYC — Pillars of glass and concrete. (2014)
- Richmond — Home sweet home. (2013–16)
- Knoxville — Wanderings during my college years. (2010–11)
- Southern Elsewhere — Various locations in the South. (2009–16)
- Interiors — A natural light obsession. (2010–16)
- Exteriors — Bricks and glass, concrete and steel. (2009–16)
- Outside — Nature… or sometimes closer to nature-ish. (2009–16)
- Window Seat — I'm the guy who's always glued to the window and ends the flight with a sore neck. (2009–17)
- Space — Beginner astrophotography from cold nights, and scenes from the Green Bank Observatory. (2014–16)
- Urban Exploration — Recklessness and ruin. (2009–12)
- The Dark — Stuff from when I take hiatuses and go wandering. (2009–14)
- Football — University of Tennessee football. (2010–11)
- Basketball — University of Tennessee men’s/women’s basketball. (2010–11)
- Other Sports — Other sports at UT. (2010–11)
- Abstract — Patterns and color worship. (2009–13)
- Food — My other hobby. I can bake some mean breads and pizzas. (2009–11)
- Miscellany — I’m terrible at hierarchies. (2009–14)
Tools and toys you can play with in your web browser. Some mobile and older browsers may not work.
- Binary File Visualizer — Lets you see what the binary data of any file looks like, by interpreting the raw bytes as pixels. A port of the script I used for my Files As Images project. (2018)
- Quad Background Generator — Generates colorful inset quad patterns which can be downloaded as wallpapers. (2017)
- Tartan Generator — Randomly generates tartan patterns which can be downloaded as wallpapers. (2016)
- Triangle Background Generator — Generates colorful triangular patterns which can be downloaded as wallpapers. (2015-17)
- Modular Modifier (HTML5) — A procedural/glitch editor that lets you apply effects to GIFs and pictures in various orders and download the results. (2016)
- Boxer — A box image/template creator. If you’ve seen 3x3/taste-rate thread on forums, this is for that kind of thing. (2015)
- Party Time — Takes images and makes trippy palette-cycling GIFs. Mostly superseded by Modular Modifier. (2014)
Simple audiovisual amusements for your web browser. Some mobile and older browsers may not work.
Downloadable audiovisual tools.
- Pixel Exploder — Draws an image’s pixels as 3D cubes and explodes them outward based on their brightness. (2014)
- Visualizer — A spectrum visualizer for the current audio input. (2014)
- JPG Glitcher — A script that takes a JPG and generates a number of glitched variations, optionally combining them into an animated GIF. (2014)
- MP3 to YouTube — A script that creates an MP4 file suitable for YouTube uploading from an MP3, automatically making the album art into a background. (2013)
Computer projects designed to analyze.
- Lightroom Geotag Timelapser — A Processing script to show geotags on a map over time. Exports frames so you can create a GIF timelapse of the places you've been. (2016)
- Hash Calculator — A simple SHA-1 hash calculator. (2015)
Games, and projects created for them and their communities.
- Mojibake Fixer — Takes ZIP files encoded with the Japanese Shift-JIS encoding and fixes the filenames for ZIP extractors not using that encoding. (2018)
- I've put some of my older projects and random things on this separate page.
Colorful pictures and GIFs generated via tools I created.
- Files As Images — Random file data visualized as images. (2015–17)
- Every Color — Images containing every color of their RGB color space exactly once. (2014–17)
- Generative ANSI — Modern images reduced into terminal characters. (2014)
- Glitch/Trippy GIFs — Weird and occasionally broken animations. (2014–16)
Discovered glitches I made use of.
- Broken Camera — My phone's camera suddenly broke, so I had some fun with it. (2016)
I can be reached via email (ih404 at outlook.com) or Twitter (@ianmharmon).
- Added a number of galleries: Guatemala, Belize, Washington DC, and Window Seat.
- Added photos to Interiors, Shenandoah, Space, Southern Elsewhere, Richmond, Exteriors, and Outside.
- Added high-DPI support and made some fixes to Tartan Generator.
- Did the same for Triangle Background Generator, as well as greatly simplifying its UI.
- Added pictures to Glitch/Trippy GIFs and Every Color.
- Refreshed the layout of all gallery pages.
- Lightroom Geotag Timelapser — A Processing script to show geotags on a map over time. Exports frames so you can create a GIF timelapse of the places you've been.
- Updates to Modular Modifier — Added Bipolarize and Travel effects, and added an example of the two in tandem to the examples page.
- Updates to Modular Modifier — examples page, ability to copy/paste the effects sequence for sharing, animation offset option for Double, scanlines option for Pixel Scaler, fixed bug in Polarize.
- Tartan Generator — Randomly generates tartan patterns which can then be downloaded as wallpapers.
I redesigned this landing page. It’s not as pretty as older ones, but it’s probably more functional. The rest of my site is still how it used to be, so the menus there won’t be as comprehensive as this page, particularly with the Code section.
I should unify everything, but for now I’ll take a page out of 15 years ago.
Back to Top ⤴